Are you passionate about storytelling? Do you love finding the hook, pitching stories, and creating opportunities that uplift an important mission? The Communications Manager at the Greater Washington Partnership is a new role that will be focused on media outreach and public relations. From writing press releases to pitching stories to seeking out thought leadership opportunities, the Communications Manager will help increase visibility for the Partnership and its work across the Capital Region, from Baltimore to Richmond. Candidates must live in the Capital Region and be able to commute to our office near Dupont Circle at least two days per week.
Scroll Down to Apply
Primary ResponsibilitiesExecute on communication activities:- support
- - Manage all media and public relations efforts, including pitching media, writing press releases, and directing outreach to reporters and/or media outlets.
- - Position the Partnership as a subject matter expert across the Capital Region
- - Curate opportunities to increase visibility of Partnership leadership and initiatives, through thought leadership opportunities such as being a podcast guest, a conference speaker, or a high-level panelist
- - Write and edit marketing and communication materials as required, including press releases, social media toolkits, blogs, and email content
- - Support the development of marketing and communication collateral as needed
- - Manage and disseminate communication performance analytics to inform the team’s strategy
- - Research and understand new tools in the marketing and communication space to make recommendations to senior leaders
- - Support project management including tracking timelines, deliverables, and project costs, and ensuring leadership is kept informed on project status
- - Maintain and frequently update team planning resources using organization-wide project management tools
- - Support maintenance of the Partnership’s website, including uploading content and refreshing pages
Other duties may include:
- - Supporting event ideation, tracking, production, and staffing
- - Leading meetings and take notes to ensure alignment across initiatives
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- - Passion for storytelling, media outreach, and collaborating across teams in a fast-paced office
- - Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in communications, marketing, journalism, or a related field
- - 4-5 years of experience in communications, public relations, media relations, or journalism
- - Strong network of reporters and media outlets across the Capital Region from Baltimore to Richmond
- - Highly communicative and flexible in working across internal teams and external partners
- - Knowledge of the Capital Region – which includes Baltimore, Maryland, Washington, DC, and Richmond, Virginia
- - Strong written and communications skills with a keen eye for editing written materials and crafting a creative pitch
- - 1-2 years of project and/or vendor management experience, preferably working with web developers and designers, report designers, creative agencies
- - Enthusiastic and entrepreneurial team player who works well in a fast-paced environment
- - Proficiency in Microsoft Office – Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint
- - Experience using project management and CRM tools - Salesforce and Monday.com preferred
- - Experience with WordPress
- - Experience with e-marketing platforms, HubSpot preferred
- - Experience using visual development tools like Canva
- This position is based in the Partnership’s Washington, DC office. The Partnership follows all DC mask and vaccine mandates. In-person work will be required 2 days per week at minimum. Full-time remote work is not possible for this role.
- Application Requirements
- - Submit a cover letter, resume, and professional writing sample.
- - To be considered for this position, your resume and all associated documents must be uploaded in PDF or Word format.
- - The filename of each document must include your first name, initial and last name. (J. Doe Resume, J. Doe Cover Letter, etc.)